Afraid of making a long-term commitment but interested in providing temporary care to animals in need? Then fostering might be right for you!
Animals that are placed into SafeHaven Humane Society’s Foster Care Program are either pregnant, nursing, injured, sick, too young or not fully vaccinated and aren't quite ready stay at our shelter. Fostering a dog or cat in need of a home, love, and care is a time-consuming effort, but it’s also one of the most rewarding ways to help homeless pets. Providing a foster home for animals in need relieves the strain on our shelter and helps set the stage for successful adoptions.
SafeHaven has discovered that dogs and cats fostered in a nurturing environment are less likely to be returned to the shelter after adoption, suffer from fewer behavior or training problems, are less stressed and become more adaptable to life in their new homes.
Top Reasons to Become a Foster Parent
- It gives you a pet fix without long term commitment.
- It's rewarding to see animals love and trust again due to your nurturing and training.
- Foster One, Save One: When animals are placed in foster care, more shelter space opens up for us to rescue more animals.
- It’s fun to cuddle puppies and kittens!
Are You Ready to Be a Foster Parent?
Ask yourself these questions to help see if you are ready to be a foster parent.
- Are you an animal lover?
- Do you have enough time?
- Does fostering fit your household and family’s life?
- Do you have a spare room to keep foster animals separate from your current household pets?
- Are you prepared to say goodbye?
Be sure to check out our video on bottle feeding kittens!